Saturday, February 11, 2017

Another interesting mobility device

I came across this link for the Tek-RMD on the KD-UK Facebook page. http://www.matiarobotics.com/tek-rmd.html

The device has some interesting features. What interested me most was the one video where the man was able to sit down in an ordinary chair. It has been a couple of years since I gave that up. I do miss the recliners and watching television from an easy chair. They are definitely more comfortable. It would be great in the kitchen, especially with the higher cupboards. I liked the remote control option. You can park it somewhere else after you have transferred to a bed or chair. I am also curious how stable it is. And, could you comfortably sit back in the seat strap?

Operating Information:
  • The maximum grade of climb is 3%
  • The range is 3.7 Miles (6km)
  • Load Capacity 264 lbs (120kg)
  • Turning Radius 23.6″ (60cm)
  • Weight (empty) 242.5 lbs (110kg)

Potential Issues:
  • The small wheels might not work well on carpets or safely drive over small ridges/bumps
  • Throw rugs might bunch up when turning
  • It is currently designed for a paraplegic
  • Hand and arm strength is required for self-mounting (how much arm strength)
  • What kind of pressure does this place on your leg joints?


I will definitely bookmark this webpage and continue to follow the evolution of the device.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.